KNX Association Newsletter - July 2009
1. News from KNX Standard
- New KNX Specification: KNX RF in OpenTherm Products The final voting cycle on the extensions to the KNX Specifications to allow the use of KNX RF in OpenTherm products (Application Note 122) was positively concluded. OpenTherm is the name of a non-manufacturer-dependent system of communication between modulating heating appliances (central heating appliances and air heaters) and room thermostats. OpenTherm products are historically using an own developed TP communication medium. The OpenTherm community has however expressed the wish to be able to also use radio communication for the link between the room thermostat and the heating appliances. In order to enable OpenTherm manufacturers to use KNX RF in their products and ensuring compatibility with existing KNX RF products, whilst safeguarding the independence of the OpenTherm community and coding, the above AN sets a framework of KNX system and interworking requirements to ensure the before-said. First implementations are due to be launched in the market in the next months from some of the OpenTherm members.
- New KNX Specification: KNX Audio and Video Control In the course of March, the Working Group Interworking formally approved the Application Specifications for the realization of KNX devices controlling audio and video equipment. The aim of the document lies in providing an overview of typical AV functions and the way such functions could be realized as group objects in a KNX compatible AV sink or could be sent out by a device addressing such an AV sink. The AV sink is thought to be most likely a gateway coupling KNX to one or more pieces of AV equipment. The device addressing an AV sink is thought to be most likely a commonly available KNX compatible switch, touch panel or visualization/control software running on a PC.
- New KNX Specification: KNX RF V 1.2 Approved in Release for voting: at the end of May, the KNX Technical Board approved in a first voting cycle the (fully backward compatible) extension to the current KNX RF specifications. This extension introduces the possibility to realize multi-channel KNX RF products in the 868 MHz band, making such products even more robust against interferences.
For more information see: http://www.knx.org/knx-en/knx-standard/specifications/index.php
2. New Members, Training Centres, Scientific Partners, National Groups
- Anasus Nkosi's Lab S.L. (Spain, www.anasuslab.es)
- Bertelli & Partners (Italy, www.bertelli-partners.it)
- Crestron International (Belgium, www.crestron.eu)
- Cytech Technology Pte Ltd. (Singapore, www.cytech.biz)
- der Kluth GmbH (Germany, www.derkluth.de)
- Embedded Systems, SIA (Latvia, www.openrb.com)
- EnOcean GmbH (Germany, www.enocean.com)
- Faidon-losif Nenedakis (Greece, fnenedakis(at)teemail.gr)
- GePro Gesellschaft für Prozesstechnik GmbH (Germany, www.eib-tab.de)
- JoongAng Control Co., Ltd (South Korea, www.joas.co.kr)
- ON Semiconductor (Belgium, www.onsemi.com)
- Schneider Electric Denmark A/S (Denmark, www.lk.dk)
- T2M2 GmbH (Germany, www.easyKNX.de)
- THERMOKON Sensortechnik GmbH (Germany, www.thermokon.de)
For more information see the worldwide list of KNX Manufacturers: http://www.knx.org/knx-en/manufacturers/list/index.php
16.000 KNX Partners in 93 countries:
Last April, the KNX Partners Community excelled itself by exceeding the border of 15.000 certified professionals. KNX Association is proud to announce that Mr. Til from Spain was crowned the 15.000th KNX Partner.
For more information see the worldwide KNX Partner List http://www.knx.org/knx-en/community/partners/list/list.php
New Training Centre:
- AFIGI (GBB / FENIE) (Spain, www.gbb.cat)
- APIEM (FENIE) (Spain, www.apiem.org )
- FAS Training Centre Loughlinstown (Ireland , www.fas.ie)
- Energy Project Engineering Srl (Italy ,www.energy-project.it )
- Davenham Building Technology Training Centre (Ireland ,www.davenham.com )
- MVV Energie AG (Germany ,www.mvv-energie.de )
For more information see the worldwide list of Training Centres: http://www.knx.org/knx-en/knx-partners/training-centres/list/index.php
New Scientific Partners:
- "Sapiznza" University of Rome (Italy, carlomaria.medaglia(at)uniroma1.it)
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Spain, grobles(at)ing.un3m.es)
- Warsaw University of Technology (Poland, miroslaw.parol(at)ien.pw.edu.pl)
For more information see the worldwide list of Scientific Partners: http://www.knx.org/knx-en/community/scientific-partners/list/index.php
New KNX Userclub:
- KNX Userclub Austria, (Austria, www.knx-professionals.at)
For more information see the worldwide list of Associated Partners: http://www.knx.org/knx-en/knx-partners/userclub/list/index.php
3. New KNX Board Members
The KNX Executive Board (KEB) elected 2 new members:
- Mr. Harald Hasenclever (Merten GmbH & Co. KG)
- Mr. José Lorenzo (Schneider Electric Indusutries S.A)
For more information see: www.knx.org/knx-en/knx/association/structure/executive-board/index.php
4. Smart Metering
Smart Metering with KNX flyer / brochure is now available in 6 languages:
Moreover, a complete set of pages with relevant information has been uploaded to the website: Smart Metering pages:
5. New Chinese Flyers
On the other hand, we translated versions of the following flyers into Chinese:
For more information see: http://www.knx.org/knx-en/downloads-support/downloads/index.php
6. New Press Releases
New press release is available in 6 languages:
- KNX offers the world-wide Bus standard for Smart Metering
Intelligently measuring and controlling energy consumption with KNX
- KNX building automation and Smart Metering complement each other in an optimal way
- Highest energy efficiency: Experience gained in 300.000 realized projects in Europe
- New brochure with detailed explanations and practical examples
For more information see: www.knx.org/knx-en/news-press/press-room/index.php
7. New Requirements for KNX Training Centres
- The KNX Executive Board approved in May a simplification of the KNX Certification Procedure for Training Centers in order to still broaden the acceptance of the KNX technology in educational institutes worldwide. Some of the changes relate to:
- Students registered for courses at KNX certified training centers now immediately have access to a FREE ETS Trainee version, limiting the need for the purchase of software licenses by the candidate training center;
- The fees charged to certified training centers have been reduced to the annual fees only;
- The verification of compliance of the candidate training center is now fully done by the submission of appropriate document proof. Surprise KNX inspections are however still possible.
For more information see the new brochure How to Become a Certified KNX Training Centre
8. KNX Website
Many websites related to KNX have been created in the last months. Most of the pages are in English, but you will also find national initiatives in local languages as: German, Dutch, Spanish, Polish and Swedish.
For more information see: http://www.knx.org/knx-en/news-press/links/index.php
9. KNX on YouTube
A collection of videos and movies related to the KNX technology, to KNX products, Energy efficiency with KNX, Green Buildings, etc debuting on YouTube .
- KNX Green Building Video (English), here
- KNX Green Building Video (German): here
- KNX Green Building Video (French): here
For more videos on YouTube see here
10. KNX Training Centres Conference 2009
The annual conference for training centres was held this June 2009 at Siemens AG in Regensburg (Germany). More than 50 representatives of several training centres as well as representatives of KNX members were informed about KNX trainings.
The main focus of this year’s conference was the impact of the use of control systems on energy consumption of buildings, more specifically the role KNX can play in Green Buildings . Moreover the audience got a sneak preview of ETS 4 due to be released in 2010.
For more information see: http://www.knx.org/knx-en/community/training-centres/tc-conferences/index.php
11. KNX Userclubs Conference 2009
For the first time , KNX Association organized a meeting with active members of its KNX Userclubs . 5 KNX Userclubs joined the event from countries like Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Spain and The Netherlands. Everyone who attended agreed that there is an interest in sharing experience . Ideas were exchanged as well as information on achievements of the individual user clubs so far . The initiative is also sure to have a positive effect in strengthening the ties between the members of the Userclubs. If you want to become a member of one of the KNX Userclub please click on the link.
For more information see: http://www.knx.org/knx-en/knx-partners/userclub/list/index.php
12. KNX Giveaways
KNX Association put at the disposal of any Worldwide KNX related the following list of available KNX material for your KNX event:
For more information please send an e-mail: info(at)knx.org
13. KNX at Fairs & Conferences
- Ineltec (Basel, Switzerland, 01.09.2008 - 04-09.2009, www.ineltec.ch)
- Elektrotechnik 2009 (Dortmund, Germany, 02.09.2009 - 05.09.2009, link)
- IFA2009 (Berlin, Germany, 04.09.2009 - 09.09.2009, link)
- Energetab 2010 (Bielsko-Biala, Poland, 15.09.2009 - 17.09.2009, link)
- ECL2009 (Brussels, Belgium, 23.09.2008 - 24.09.2009, link)
- EFA2009 (Leipzig, Germany, 28.09.2009 - 30.09.2009, link)
- KNX National Group Conference (Lisbon, Portugal, 04.11.2009 - 05.11.2009, link)
- ICT for Sustainable homes (Nice, France, 16.11.2009 - 17.11.2009, link)
- HI-TECH BUILDING 2009 (Moscow, Russia, 08.12.2009 - 10.12.2009,http://www.hitechbuilding.ru)
- ISE 2010 (Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 02.02.2010 - 04.02.2010, link)
- interclima+elec 2010 (Paris,France - 09.02.2010 - 12.02.2010, link)
- light+builidng 2010 (Frankfurt, Germany, 11.04.2010 - 16.04.2010, link)
- Eliaden 2010 (Oslo, Norway, 31.05.2010 - 03.06.2010, link)
For more information see http://www.knx.org/knx-en/news-press/events-fairs/index.php
14. Facon 1.7
KNX Association has released an update of KNX Falcon , version 1.7 ( I-Post 090519).
- Falcon Version 1.7 is only a bug corrected version, no new features were introduced
For more information see: http://www.knx.org/knx-en/software/falcon/features/index.php and http://www.knx.org/knx-en/software/falcon/downloads/index.php
15. KNX Tools Online Shop
KNX Tools Online Shop has been impoved as follows:
- New payment methods : use PayPal as an option ! (from 15th July)
- Reduction of the fees: when using electronic payment (Visa, Mastercard, Paypal) the software handling fees* (15€) will be dropped.
- Follow-up of your shipment: inform yourself on the status of your order at any moment.
*Please note that when buying a KNX software including a dongle, sending cost (for the shipment) continue to be charged . The online payment only frees you from paying the otherwise charged software handling cost .
For more information see: https://onlineshop.knx.org
For any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me (heinz.lux(at)knx.org).
Newsletter, March 2009
Newsletter, January 2009
Newsletter, October 2008
Newsletter, June 2008
Newsletter, September 2007
Newsletter March 2007
Newsletter July 2006