What is KNX development?
Welcome to the site dedicated to KNX development in all its flavours. From field devices bearing the KNX logo to monitoring software based on RESTful services (KNX web services) just to name a few. Here you will find the best approach to understand KNX technology and all the possibilities that are available for you.
Each tab of this site contains different resources for developers, including novelties never published before. Do not miss it!
With KNX, manufacturers, installers and end-customers win
Many different types of companies benefit from developing products and solutions based on KNX, due to the wide spectrum of applications that KNX covers within home and building environments, and to the growing legion of installers that rely on KNX to offer a future-proof and hassle-free solution to the end customer. The only tool required for system integration, ETS, wins adepts all over the world thanks to its simplicity and adapted versions to each need.
What can you develop?
To make it simple, these are your options:
A KNX device is a combination of hardware and software in a field device:
- The hardware will be able to transmit and receive information thanks to a certified Physical Layer (i.e. Radio Frequency).
- The information will flow upwards and downwards the OSI layers thanks to a Certified Stack.
- The device interacts with the real environment or performs any task thanks to the certified Application Program (i.e. Fan Coil actuator).
Check the existing KNX certified devices here
This is a piece of Software, which runs embedded in ETS, developed using a specific API. It can have 2 functions:
- Extension of functionality for ETS (i.e. visual configuration).
- Device Configuration App for more complex KNX devices.
Check the existing ETS Apps here
KNX Web Service Gateway This particular solution, the KNX WS-Gateway, provides an abstraction layer so that the connecting application does not need to know how KNX operates. The specification foresees three web service flavours: oBIX, BACnet/WS and OPC/UA. Client Software for KNX WS-Gateway The IT application can interact with KNX in a RESTful way without having knowledge about KNX itself. The KNX WS-Gateway forms a bridge from KNX system towards HTTP and vice versa.
Will I find the right approach for my hardware development?
You have them all:
Communication media. Just pick the one that suits you best:
- PL (Power Line)
- TP (Twisted Pair)
- RF (Radio Frequency)
- IP (Internet Protocol)
Configuration type. Depending on what type of installer you target:
- S-Mode (System Mode). These devices require a computer with ETS to be configured. Therefore computer skills are needed as well knowledge of the ETS tool.
- E-Mode (Easy mode). These devices can be set up without any computer. Any qualified electrician might be able to set up E-mode devices with minimum training.
A large catalogue of
already certified system components is available for hardware developers,
offering a wide spectrum of possibilities when designing a KNX device. It is up
to each company the possibility to start from scratch, use available system
components or even relabel existing certified KNX devices. As you would expect
from an international standard, KNX is brand independent, which means you can
use any microcontroller platform to develop your solution.
What about software development?
Software developers will find the right set of tools to create KNX devices as well ETS Apps:
Manufacturer Tool: this tool is required to create and test ETS product database entries (Application Program).
EITT: this is the KNX Interworking Test Tool, which is intended for testing, troubleshooting and monitoring the Interworking and system stack compliance of KNX products.
ETS API: this API, which already includes many basic functions, is the base to develop individual apps for ETS.
On top of
that, KNX specifications are constantly being updated, allocating new solutions
demanded by the market. Therefore KNX developers receive regular updates. Two
- Security: Data encryption, secure communication between devices and secure communication between client/server are fully available in KNX.
- Lighting: New Functional Blocks (group of inputs, outputs and parameters) added, such as “Colour Temperature Sensor / Actuator”, “Colour Sensor / Actuator RGB(W)” and “Colour Sensor / Actuator xyY”.
How to Become a KNX Member
Available in 3 Languages
How to Become an ETS App Developer
Available in 4 Languages